We love Philodendrons at Retreat. Just starting out with plants? We often suggest Philodendrons as a great starter plant. They are fairly easy going, and they grow fairly quickly. They are not our very easiest plants (which would probably be the ZZ plant or Snake), but they are definitely up on our list of easy-to-care-for plants! One of the things we love most about the Philodendron Selloum is how big and bold they are. They originally come from tropical forests and you can tell! Many people who come into the shop are drawn to the full appearance, large leaf size, and rich green color of these plants, and we can’t blame them! They are great space fillers if you want a really large plant without committing to something too difficult to care for, or that takes a really long time to grow!
Some Quick Care Tips for your Philodendron Selloum
- Bright, indirect or medium, indirect sunlight is ideal for these plants
- Water these plants when the surface of the soil dries. You can check the first inch or so of soil by inserting your finger and feeling for moisture. When no moisture is felt it is time to water your plant
- When watering, saturate the plant, allowing a generous amount of water to trickle out the bottom of the pot drainage holes
- You’ll notice your philodendron will need less water in the winter. Allow your Philodendron to get just moist.
- They don’t like to be soggy, so the more drainage the better!
- Clean off the leaves of your plant regularly with a wet, damp cloth
- They don’t love drafts so if you can keep them away from doors, open windows, and air vents they would be most happy!
- These plants are poisonous to both pets and humans, so please keep them out of reach of curious eaters